From time to time, we repost the work (with permission) of other bloggers when we feel the topic is relevant to our followers. Today’s post is the authored by Mark Kelly of My dadventures.com.
Single parents can start an online business – a lucrative side gig – if you will.
This blog post by Guest Poster Mark Kelly of https://mydadventures.com/ will help you identify resources and ideas for your initiative.
Posted by: Don Oehlert
When you are a single parent, there is never enough. You can always use more cash, more time, more rest — your resources are limited, is what we are saying. For a lot of people, a lucrative side gig is the answer to being cash-strapped. However, as a single parent, you can’t sacrifice too many hours or else you’d lose valuable time with your kids. The best way to make a few bucks on the side without squeezing minutes out of your schedule is by establishing a side hustle that makes money even when you aren’t active.
Start an Online Store
Online shopping isn’t the future, it’s the present. And it’s a lucrative side gig for many. An estimated 2.05 billion people worldwide purchased goods online in 2020, with sales expected to hit $4.2 trillion. When you set up your own e-commerce site, you slice out your own share of those trillions.
If you want your online store to be successful, there are a few things you need:
- A desirable product and an audience to sell it to
- Media that you can use to demonstrate your product and its features
- Marketing and social media presence that informs people about your product and drives people to your site in order to purchase it
- An e-commerce platform to support your current payment processing, evaluate the security of your payments system, and create an omnichannel strategy for your business
- A method of packaging and shipping your product once sold through your e-commerce platform
- Accounting software where you can track your orders and log your profits for taxes and other business purposes
Write a Parenting Blog
As a single parent, you have experience and advice others want to know about. Starting a blog where you can share your point-of-view with other single parents doesn’t just help others around you, it can also be a profitable and lucrative side gig! Once they have established an audience, advertisers contact blog owners about everything from sponsored posts to affiliate links to product reviews. Depending on the pay structure, you can either make money up front for your content or you can get continuous checks based on the amount of clicks and visits you generate.
If you want your blog to be successful, consider the following:
- The more unique your blog is, the more it will stand out from the crowd. Don’t just make your blog topic about single parenthood. Find an angle that taps into your specific skills or interests. For instance, if you are the kind of hippie-Whole Foods mom that knows all about natural cures and yoga poses, your blog can have a holistic healing angle that other parents will appreciate
- Blogging is about more than writing nowadays — you have to have a social media presence, as well. Set up social media accounts across all platforms and connect them via a service such as IFTTT so once one post is published, it goes out via all channels
- This is not a make-money-quick scheme. Starting your own blog may not make you money for the first year or so. However, if you are consistent with your posting and truly engage with your audience, you can create a following that appeals to advertisers over time
Start Out Smart
When you pick up a lucrative side gig, it’s important to keep in mind that you should run your business properly so you don’t put your family’s finances at risk. For one thing, you may want to select a business structure and officially register with your state. Many people with dependents prefer an LLC because it naturally safeguards personal assets. Plus, it’s simple and affordable to establish when you register through an online service.
You should also enact some cybersecurity protections if you’re using the internet for your business. Carefully choosing passwords, saving data to the cloud, and adding encryption services are just a few of the things you can do to stay safe online. Start out with the right policies and you’ll be set up for success.
If you are a single parent, you don’t want to lose valuable family time just to pursue a side gig. Instead, use the internet as a resource to make active money even when you aren’t there. E-commerce is a trillion-dollar industry, and your own online store can get you in on the profits. As a single parent, you have a unique experience others want to learn from. Starting your own blog allows you to pass on your wisdom, create a community, and make money on the side.
Need to optimize your resume, to practice your interviewing skills, or full-on career coaching? Find transformative resources at eCareerCoaching and land the job you’ve always wanted!
To get to know yourself better from a personal standpoint, please drop us an email for your free copy of our “Finding Your True North” instrument. In it are 36 questions that will help you understand what makes you tick, so that you can better prepare for a job search, or decide whether you should go for that promotion.
#careercoaching #resumewriting #resumes #gethired #legal